The Legend of Clan Valkyrson - Village of Bjornheim

This forum is for the use of Clan Valkyrson
Vatara

Re: The Legend of Clan Valkyrson - Village of Bjornheim

Post by Vatara »

The appointment of Stewardship of Bjornheim as dictated by Jarl Urus Valkyrson.

So I think this happened without the first month that we were here in Bjornheim. There I am, I am Jarl, but I am also Nature Advisor to the King, I'm Archdruid trying to keep track of the Guardians and the Guardian Grove. I was very quickly realizing this is too much for me as one person to be able to do. As Jarl, I am also part of the Council of Lords. That means I have to be at Court to be able to speak for Bjornheim. Of course, if I am at court, then I am not here leading the clan. So I needed a Steward, someone I could trust to lead in my stead.

I put out the call within the clan. It was Arnbjorn, Eric and Ophelia that answered. So I called them together, we stood here at the fire and talked. I asked each of them a series of questions, learning more about them, who they were as people, where they came from, what was important to them. I consulted Dalia the Seer. She told me what each would become as Steward, especially left unchecked. Each of them had considerable talents and gifts to offer, but...each would be so focused on their talents and fields of interest, other aspects of the clan would suffer.

I had to figure out a way to balance each of them. They balanced each other just fine, but with one of them as the Steward, that balance would tip. So I turned to Arnbjorn, I know he was the most important one to balance out. I asked him dead to his face who was the Shieldmaiden he was most intimidated by? The one who could actually make him take a step back. He thought about it, and said Tove. So I thanked them all for their time and said I would consider them all thoroughly, then I went on to consult with Dalia. I had thought originally to make Ophelia the Steward, with Tove as her right hand if Arnbjorn was giving Ophelia too much grief.

Now its important to note here an event that took place before all this. It was actually the day I summoned Ascalaphus. One would remember Rune Haroldson? Mirja being his Valkyrie, him trying to build Clan Haroldson, all that mess? There was a Shieldmaiden who travelled with him in those days, her name was Astrid. She was very focused on the fighting and raiding and all that to the point of stupidity, but I did not learn this till later. She was present when I summoned Ascalphus when we proved our prowess against the cultists that attacked, and the undead they brought with them. She said she was impressed, and swore the clan oath right there on the spot in front of Ascalaphus. I kid you not, within four hours of that oath being sworn, nearly instigated a war between Bjornheim and Highcliff. When I confronted her for what she had done, she tried to turn it back on me, blaming me and calling me coward for not backing her against my best friend at the time. I exiled her from the clan right then and there, but it made me wary of Shieldmaidens in the process.

So finally, when I went to Ascalaphus seeking his wisdom, I told him of each of the candidates. Arnbjorn, Eric and Ophelia, but I did mention how I wanted this Shieldmaiden to back up Ophelia. So Ascalaphus flat out asked me why I wasn't considering this Shieldmaiden, and confronted there with it, I realized I was holding Astrid's actions against Tove without really sitting down and discussing with her, giving her a fair shot. Arnbrjorn had also told me of her Totem, the Mammoth. With Ascalaphus opening my eyes, I realized that Tove's totem would likely make the perfect Steward. She would be able to guide the other three, and they would in turn balance out each other. So, I sat down with her, spoke to her like I had the rest, then I called them all together.

I asked them all a single question. I asked them to name one thing, one simple thing that we as a clan could do that could have a large impact on us as a people, a culture that we are trying to develop. Now to be fair, Arnbjorn didn't get to answer because I already knew what I wanted to take from his example, and that is our salute. Arnbjorn is a warrior, a man of military discipline. I wanted some of that discipline displayed by all, so I adopted his salute for the clan. After that I went through each of them in turn. I told them each in turn starting with Arnbjorn and Eric that I needed them using their talents for the clan. Arnbjorn leads my warriors as Hersir. None of us know numbers and contracts as well as Eric, so I made him Treasurer and Master of Trade. So of course they both turn and congratulate Ophelia who now suddenly looked like a caged badger. The other answers ended up dealing with things that ultimately getting the school out here started ended up solving. Most of it had to do with making sure younglings were being taken care of so the parents could work and get things done.

As for how the conversation ended. Ophelia I swear looked like she wanted to jump out of her skin and flee into the Mere, but I told them I had chosen Tove. I don't think I have ever seen anyone so relieved to be passed over for a promotion.
Vatara

Post by Vatara »

Winter Solstice: Three nights of celebration and its history - dictation by Jarl Urus Valkyrson

Day One: Odins Wild Hunt.

Day Two: Fasting and preparation

Day Three: Ceremony and feasting

It is the time of the Wild Hunt, Odin leads it upon his mighty steed, Sleipnir, an eight legged horse, and so at this time, we leave gifts for Sleipnir. In old custom, one would leave out a boot with hay and sugar for the mighty steed. Here in Bjornheim, we do not have much in the way of sugar, so this year we offer some dried apples instead. Hopefully Sleipnir will approve.

As Odin leads his Wild Hunt, so it symbolizes the death of the old year. Thus, yesterday, we held our own Hunt, and acquired the meat of the feast I know you are all waiting for. Today has been a day of fasting. That day of death on the longest night of the year. From this day onward, the nights will grow shorter, the days longer, and life returns with the march of the sun, and so I shall begin the ceremony. I ask for your kind attention, and quiet as it proceeds. I promise once it is concluded, there will be much drink and feasting for the next full day!

Hallowed Woman of the Earth, riding forth this night. Look kindly upon our work. Spin us good wyrd tonight, pray fill our house with joy!

Odin the One-Eyed, Rune-lord of Wisdom, Hear us as we hail you, Honor our working. Waken our word-skill, Quicken our magic. Skald-speech be in us, By your Blessing Odin.

By Fire and by Water, Between the Earth and Sky. We stand like the World tree, Rooted deep, crowned high!

To all those who dwell in this land we give honor. Kindreds of the soil, of the waters, of the sky, clans of tree and herb, of stone and stream and lake, tribes of bird and beast and creeping thing, you we remember with honor as we drink. In the season of the sleeping earth we ask the spirits of the land to join us at our fire and feast, that all those of good will may be blessed.

Alfar we honor, Great men and Fathers, Who in their highday, Heroes were reckoned, Likewise the Disir, Great and good women, Mothers, grandmothers, Peace-weavers, wise ones. Ancestors aid us, Hear us as we hail you. Drink we this draught now, In honor and love.

Sunna sinks down, into the dark sea. Wold and wind howl outside the walls. Now Winter shakes out her snowy bed. Now are life-fire, hid in yew-night. Odin's grey steed, leads ghosts on the wind. Trolls fare from chiff-halls, the ettin are risen. Well are we warded, who watch this night. By Fire and water, and by Thor's great might!

Wisdom rising, from Well's deep roots. Runes of might, roar in our minds. Up from the bairn-stock's eldest roots, Odin give answer, reveal the gods wills.

By Aesir, and Alfar, and Dises mighty. By Thunar's strong striking, and Freya's Hearth-fire. We seek the shining, of Yule-morning's magic. Sunna we call you. Come forth from the night. Bear to us blessings, of spring and then summer. Shine on our land. In our homes, in our hearts. Increase and bounty, Be ours and our kindred's rising light, welcome. We hail your returning!

Now by the might of Frey and Freya, by the blessing of all the Aesir, may the rising light of the Sun be in our hearts as it is in the world. May our strength grow with it, from good to good, and gain to gain, throughout the turning year. All hail the Reborn Sun!

Now, let the feasting, dancing and revelry begin!!!
Vatara

Post by Vatara »

A small entry is made on the page, more of a detailed note.

On this day, three joined the fold. Talun Stormflame, Olivia, and Sira the mortal Valkyrie. On this day as they gave their oaths, two titles were bestowed.

Olivia the Loyal

Sira the Shining

May they live up to Ascalaphus's blessings.
Last edited by Vatara on Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vatara

Post by Vatara »

Official Clan Motto: It is better to die with honor, than to live in shame.

Motto suggested by Th'rar "The Enduring" Valkyrson as his contribution to the clan.

Approved by Jarl Urus Valkyrson.
Vatara

Post by Vatara »

It is with great sadness that I write this entry, two days ago, Jarl Urus Valkyrson, having broken his engagement with Sylvie seemed in a deep depression. I last saw him heading off into the swamp. It has been two days without sign of him or Great Paw. Tove has taken up the position of Jarl. With her expecting twins, now facing that without the father of her children, she has a great weight upon her shoulders as we have come to fear the worst for our former Jarl. May he be at peace in Valhalla if such is true.

Th'rar "the Enduring" Valkyrson
Record keeper of Clan Valkyrson
Vatara

Post by Vatara »

A notice is written in

On this day, Archdruid Valkoth made a promise to always protect Bjornheim, that he will assist in keeping it safe.

~Th'rar