The Legend of Clan Valkyrson - Village of Bjornheim

This forum is for the use of Clan Valkyrson
Vatara

The Legend of Clan Valkyrson - Village of Bjornheim

Post by Vatara »

A newly bound hide leather hide book, the cover seems almost deer hide in design with the symbol of Clan Valkyrson on the cover. Inside appears neat writing that has carefully been made legible.

Vatara

Re: The Legend of Clan Valkyrson - Village of Bjornheim

Post by Vatara »

Laws of Clan Valkyrson

1. Treat others as you wish to be treated, if you don't want it done to you, chances are you shouldn't be doing it to someone else. When in doubt about any law, refer back to law one.

2. The spirits and totems of Bjornheim and Clan Valkyrson are to be respected by Citizens and visitors alike. Intentional disrespect to said entities may result in banishment from Bjornheim.

3. The animals and beasts of Bjornheim are to be respected. There are many wild folk among Clan Valkyrson who have even wilder companions. When in doubt, keep your hands to yourself.

4. Theft or vandalism of property is strictly prohibited and subject to a fine equal to the property stolen. Additionally a fine, equal to 15% of total goods stolen, will be paid to Bjornheim. Repeated offenses, theft or damage of high-value property may result in banishment from Bjornheim and/or loss of limbs.

5. Dark Magic is strictly forbidden and subject to a fine for the casting of each spell. In addition, the subject may face trial in the Jarl's court and be sentenced to banishment or death. Wielding the Myrkr is cause for immediate execution without trial or appeal.

6. Murder is strictly prohibited and is subject to arrest and a trial in the Jarl's court, and sentenced to banishment or death.

7. Harassment, racism, and the instigation of violence against any citizen in Bjornheim are subject to getting a beating in the fighting ring. Repeated offenses may lead to banishment.

8. The worship of Dark Gods is strictly outlawed. Any found to be worshiping, preaching, or spreading the word of Dark Gods shall be removed, and exiled, from Bjornheim.

9. The intentional disruption of Trade is strictly prohibited and subject to a fine equal to the extent of disruption caused.

10. The intentional hindrance of the defense of Bjornheim will be considered an act of aggression against Bjornheim subject to trial in the Jarl's court.

11. The use, distribution, and trading of the narcotic known as Spice is strictly prohibited and subject to trial in the Jarl's court.

These laws have been dictated and approved by Jarl Urus Valkyrson
Vatara

Post by Vatara »

Traditions and Customs of Clan Valkyrson.

1. The Jarl, the Steward, the Advisors, and the leaders of the different groups within Clan Valkyrson are to be given the Clan Salute as a sign of respect for the responsibilities they bear on behalf of the Clan. The Clan Salute is performed by placing the right fist across the chest crisply.

2. The Clan Oath. The final step for an adult to join the clan is to recite the Clan Oath before the Totem Tree, as well as cut one’s palm, and leave a blood mark upon the tree itself.

3. Hospitality. Visitors to Bjornheim are welcome guests so long as they obey Bjornheim’s laws and remain civil. Clan Valkyrson readily offers rest and refreshments to travelers. The dead are burned. The possibility of the deceased returning as undead must be completely negated.

4. When defeating a sentient in battle, a strip of cloth may be taken from the vanquished, marked with their blood. If the enemy’s colors are used, this is even more appropriate. This cloth may then be burned in the offering bowl to Ascalaphus, the smoke to tell of the victory.

5. Inheritance is not subject to gender or birth order conditions. Inheritance within Clan Valkyrson is by a chosen and named successor. Even the Jarldom passes in this fashion.

6. The Will of Ashes. The ashes of the Clan's dead may be returned to use on behalf of the clan. Whether it be as Steel, returned to the Land to nurture it, or kept as a memorial, every Clansfolk has a right to the Will of Ashes.
Last edited by Vatara on Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vatara

Post by Vatara »

Meet the leaders of the Village of Bjornheim

1. Urus “The Stonebear” Valkyrson - Jarl/Chieftain

2. Tove - Steward - Second in command to the Jarl, ruler of Bjornheim in Jarl’s absence.

3. Arnbjorn - Leads Clan Valkyrson’s Warriors and maintains Bjornheim’s security.

4. Ophelia - Lead Hunter/Survivalist - Leads the clans hunters and rangers.

5. Eric - Bjornheim’s Treasurer, Trademaster, Postmaster, Historian, Scribe

6. Verina - Clan Priestess of Mielikki.
Vatara

Post by Vatara »

Clan Totem - Ascalaphus

A nature spirit of Wisdom and Endurance, all that take the clan oath do so before Ascalaphus in hopes of being accepted.
Vatara

Post by Vatara »

Clan Oath

Upon joining the clan, all of age are expected to make their blood mark upon the Totem tree, and swear the oath.

“By body and blood do I swear this Oath, may the gods, may the spirits, may the ancestors bear witness. I will honor the Clan, I will honor our Totem, I will honor our Spirits, I will honor our Jarl. I swear to honor the Land, to use only what Merdelain can freely give, and never take more than can be spared. May Ascalaphus find me worthy and bless me with both Wisdom and Endurance. By body and blood, this oath I do swear.”
Vatara

Post by Vatara »

Clan Cuisine

“Bjornheim Chowder” - Fish, clam, oyster, shrimp, mushrooms, corn and/or wild rice, assorted herbs and spices (Wood Sorrel for lemon notes.)

Mead-Basted Boar - Slow cooked for all that mead-soaked goodness

Pit-Roast Snake - became a regular clan dish while the giant pythons and snakes were being hunted. Snake is skinned, gutted, then coiled and wrapped in herbs and leaves, buried deep into a pit oven, and slow-cooked. Served as communal dishes. Most of the population are new to reptile meat (is it chicken? Is it fish? Is it both?) and are starting to associate it strongly with their new home.
Vatara

Post by Vatara »

Custom of the Snakes Tail as told by Jarl Urus Valkyrson

As many know how West Harbor was freed of the undead, and in doing so, I came to claim it, and turned it into Bjornheim. As quickly as I could after we claimed the land, I called to the spirits for a totem. My summoning was especially powerful that day, for it attracted Ascalaphus, a very very rare and powerful totemic spirit. He manifested to us, like he did when you swore the Oath.

I had successfully performed the summoning, and he accepted us to become our new Totem. As we celebrated, horns blew, we had lizardfolk approaching from the north road. These were the Bogsmasher tribe, the lizardfolk with black horns. Rather than simply attack them, I offered them a chance to talk. They had come for our honey, and threatened to attack us to get it. I managed to get them to barter for it, rough emeralds. Still one of their number was not particularly interested in diplomacy. While I spoke with the lizardfolk emissary, the other one went and proceeded to try and smash our hives and get to our honey.

Having freshly bonded with Ascalaphus, he knows how important honey is to Bjornheims financial prosperity, so he stopped the lizardfolk by biting off the end of its tail and eating it. Needless to say, that lizardfolk fled. Their emissary agreed to truce, considering he witnessed the power of our Totem. When the honey flows again in the spring, the Bogsmashers will return to trade emeralds for honey. But, we honor that first act that Ascalaphus took to defend us by offering him the tails of the snakes we eat.

Step one: The snake is killed, skinned, gutted and coiled on itself and slowly pit-roasted while wrapped in herbs and leaves.

Step two: The first person who cuts into the snake also takes that section of the tail, though you do not eat it. You save it till the meal is over.

Step three: You kneel before the totem and bowl and the tail is placed in the ceremonial bowl and burned, as an offering to Ascalaphus. If the smoke circles around the totem in a spiral, then your offering has been accepted.